Founded in 1991, the Hong Kong Writers Circle has been devoted to creating an environment in which writers develop their writing skills and knowledge of the publishing industry with the support of their peers.
For over two decades, the HKWC has been a stalwart of Hong Kong’s literary scene and our members come from all corners of the globe and range from the published professional to the aspiring amateur. We are interested in writing novels, short stories, screen and stage plays, creative non-fiction, and poetry.
Our regular activities include:
- Monthly newsletter with member news and activities as well as news from the greater writing community.
- Member critique groups. These regular gatherings provide an opportunity for writers to get constructive feedback on their writing from their peers. The groups are organized by genre or by availability, with most groups meeting monthly to share and critique each other’s works-in-progress.
- An annual anthology. Every year, the HKWC produces an annual anthology of its members work based on a common theme. Past anthologies have included:
- Just Write workshops. Sometimes all you want to do is write. These fun workshops are the perfect way to tackle a common issue or theme in writing without all the preparation required for a regular workshop. These member-led workshops include plenty of opportunities to write, share your work and discuss the theme with your peers.
- Seminars, workshops and readings with authors, editors, publishers and other industry insiders
- Social events including our annual Christmas party and book launch, as well as opportunities to take part in other literary events around Hong Kong and the region.